It’s my birthday.
Yep, today is my birthday…today I am 48.
I’m not sure how I feel about it; sometimes I feel really young and other times I can’t believe that I am actually here.
What I do know for sure, is that another year has gone by.
And as I take time reflect on where I was last year at this time and where I am now, I am again amazed at how much has happened in just one year.
There was a time when the years just all rolled together. I set no intentions, I had no expectations.
I had detached so much from being the beautiful director of my own life, that I found myself just moving along by the current of time.
And then it happened. It was at the end of my 35th birthday party that I had a “moment I knew” that changed my life. It was that night I knew in my heart that my marriage was over. As I do every year, I was reflecting on the past year, which inevitably got me thinking about where I was in my life; and that led me down the path of coming clean with myself about the lack of fulfillment in my life for the first time.
The process of creating a new and insanely fulfilling life began when I made a decision that very same night…the decision that I would never again allow a year to go by without growing, evolving, and creating relationships and experiences that make me feel good. I mean really, really good.
Since that day, I have never again looked back only to find myself exactly where I started.
Instead, even while not knowing where the year might take me, I set intentions every year that build a strong foundation upon which growth and expansion can occur.
There have been good years; and there have been the not so good years. Each year presents experiences (both expected and never-would-have-imagined), challenges, and opportunities; all unique to me…all unique to that one year.
Ever since, however, one thing remains the same; that no matter what kind of year it has been, I have moved closer to all that I desire and I have had the privilege of experiencing infinite and unpredictable change, possibility and momentum.
This year is no different.
As I reflect back to where I was at this time last year I realize that so very much has happened:
- My older finished his freshman year at college son decided to transfer to a new school having gained so much confidence in his academic ability.
- My youngest son became a high school senior and is now preparing to go to college.
- I had begun planning for a major live event that I never ended up producing for all kinds of reasons. (it wasn’t in the universe’s plan for me!)
- I didn’t yet know that I was going to have countless amazing speaking opportunities.
- I hadn’t yet decided to become a licensed facilitator of the Desire Map process, but now I am and have adored leading women through this incredible workshop.
- Drew had just moved back to Connecticut because he thought it might be easier for us as we have been long distance for over two years.
- Drew and I loved being back together, but he wasn’t happy working in Connecticut so he moved back to Massachusetts to fulfil his professional needs…we are long distance once again.
- I am becoming an empty nester.
- I have written my Fierce and Feminine Resilience and Leadership curriculum and will be launching it with the Daily Worth this month. (so excited!!!)
- I have been booked to speak at Canyon Ranch Resort & Spa for a weekend in September.
- My house is on the market.
I won’t make you read the entire list, but there is so much more.
As I wrote the list, my heart began to beat faster as I realize just how much has happened in one year. How my intentions, actions and resilience have kept me moving forward; every day one step closer to everything I desire.
I am no longer a feather in the breeze of my life, I am an active participant and deliberate creator.
And as much as has happened over this one last year, there is so much more yet to come.
After I wrote this complete list, I set my new intentions, new vision, new dreams and desires. My birthday marks the midpoint of the year and I am not done yet with 2015.
Whether my birthday or the new year, each day is a new opportunity to begin again; a new day to take a bold, audacious, frightening, exhilarating and uncertain step forward.
So, for my birthday, I am asking you to join me. One glorious step and day at a time, for those steps and days will become our destiny.